If you’re after a bargain or a hard-to-find bottle of whiskey, then auction sites might be worth a look. Care should be taken on such sites and knowing a few simple rules will keep you from spending too much:
- Set and stick to a budget
- Research what prices your target whiskey are sold for on other sites. You’ll be surprised how many people bid way above the price they can get a bottle for elsewhere!
- Remember that you have to add postage and the auction fee to the ‘hammer price’. Make sure you are aware of these fees
- Don’t bid too early, this might prematurely push the price up
- Never bid simply to win the auction for your ego. Use your head and know when to quit.
For a more detailed guide, please read ‘Whiskey auctions explained’.
Below is a list of popular whiskey auction sites for you to try your luck.